Applesauce Drop Doughnuts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk (the batter will be thick).
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 31, 2013
THIS LITTLE DAB OF CINNAMON AND NUTMEG WOULD NOT MAKE THE BATTER DARK!!!
Sep 28, 2013
I have not tried them, wanted to know if anyone tried baking them? Trying not to eat fried foods...
Mar 1, 2013
These were good, cake like donuts. You have to have a good dough to have a good tasting donut and this recipe is good. Thank you for sharing it with my family.
Feb 12, 2013
I won't be making this again. No matter how small the fritter was it was raw on the inside and dark on the outside. Also too much of a nutmeg flavor & the amount of cinnamon made the batter dark....I have no idea what went wrong.
May 16, 2012
My daughter and I had so much fun making these! The recipe surely made a lot---enough to share with neighbors. I even had a catering request for these! Great recipe!
Nov 29, 2011
Excellent and easy! I added cinnamon to the sugar you roll them in! Definately recommend!!!
Nov 4, 2011
These were very easy to make. I ended up making a second batch to take to church and they were gobbled up in a few short minutes.
Oct 1, 2011
Excellent recipe for cake donuts. The applesauce also acts as a substitute for fat, which is helpful. :-) I used the maximum amounts of cinnamon and nutmeg and it enhanced an otherwise plain cake doughnut. Not that I'm complaining - the maple glaze I put on this batch brought all the flavors of the doughnuts so wonderfully. This is definitely a KEEPER! So much you can do with it. Omit the cinnamon and nutmeg and glaze with chocolate glaze, etc. Thanks for sharing this!
Jul 3, 2011
May 3, 2009
These look so delicious! I will try to make them soon. My mom is getting a deep fryer for her birthday and I may make these soon hopefully! Can you make these with cinnamon too?