Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 10 to 11-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 3/4 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, squash, salt and remaining sugar; mix until smooth. Add wheat germ and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and divide into thirds; divide each portion into 20 pieces. Shape into balls.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 107 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 19, 2011
Have made these at least a half dozen times. They are delicious! They make a huge batch that can be frozen and enjoyed at a later date. Totally worth the effort.
Oct 25, 2011
These are delicious! I have made them several times and they are eaten up quickly without fail. I use a little less sugar which doesn't seem to affect the taste at all. My kids love these!
Oct 5, 2011
These are really good. I added a pinch each of cinnimon, nutmeg, cardamon and clove to spice it up a bit.
Jul 9, 2010
I little sweet, but still yummy.
Dec 17, 2009
Even my kids say yum! What a great way to get them to eat Squash without fail
Mar 22, 2009
These are a hit for my family! Everyone loves them. I love being able to make a bunch and freeze them for those days I don't have time to bake. You will not be dissappointed with these rolls!
Apr 10, 2008
These are definitely 5 star rolls!!! I have made them for Thanksgiving and other special dinners for the last several years! They are the BEST. They also freeze very well.