Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups rye flour
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water. Add sugar, molasses, shortening, salt and remaining water; stir well. Add rye flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down.
- Shape into 4 round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, 45-60 minutes. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Brush with butter.
1 slice: 109 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.