Blue-Ribbon Rye Bread
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Stir in the brown sugar, shortening, molasses, caraway seeds and salt. Add rye flour and 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into three loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 81 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Aug 12, 2019
Would love to try this but any suggestions on a substitute for the molasses which I don't have on hand on do not particularly like the taste of?
Jul 28, 2018
I made this bread today and though it has a great texture, I did find it too sweet
Dec 21, 2017
How can this be Rye bread w/o Rye flour? It sounds delicious and I will try it but I wouldn't call it Rye Bread....
Dec 20, 2012
This bread is delicious, sweet and soft, but it tastes of molasses instead of the expected rye tanginess. It's not bad, but it's not what you expect from a "rye" bread.
Feb 11, 2011
this recipe is so easy to make and it is absolutely delicious. I did bake it 10 mins. longer than what was called for.
Feb 5, 2011
I've been baking breads for over 30 years and this is one of the best rye recipes I've ever tasted. It is just sweet enough, the texture is perfect and the round loaves I made were beautiful. I did bake it about 10 minutes longer than the recipe called for. Try it toasted with cheddar or swiss cheese.
Nov 27, 2010
The first attempt at this bread was below average. The second time I used this recipe I only used 1 3/4 cups water and extended bake time 5-8 minutes. I probably will not try this one again.