German Rye Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes4 loaves (8 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 cups rye flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons caraway seeds
- In a 4-qt. glass bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water; whisk in rye flour until smooth. Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel. Let stand in a warm place for about 4 hours or until batter falls about 1 in. and surface bubble activity is reduced. Stir in the sugar, caraway seeds, salt, 5 cups all-purpose flour and remaining water; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into four portions. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Shape into four round loaves, about 6 in. each. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon cornmeal. Place loaves on pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make several slashes across the top of each loaf. Brush with egg. Sprinkle each loaf with 1 teaspoon caraway seeds. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes, rotating pans after 15 minutes, or until browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 136 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 20, 2019
Wonderful! I make it into three 9x5 bread pans for three tasty loaves. I put just a tad more caraway inside the dough for extra flavor. Then butter all over tops right when it comes out of oven. Delicious with butter and piece of american cheese or as toast with butter. I've made this many times and it comes out great each time. Perfect bread recipe.
Feb 22, 2016
I tried it last week. I made it into two loaves and they came out GREAT !!!Thanks
Sep 15, 2010
A little time consuming, but worth it! I halve the recipe and make a 9x5 loaf. I omit the egg wash, as it has a tendancy to make the bread stick to the pan. Produces a moist, dense bread, it's an excellent recipe!