Blue-Ribbon Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 55 minutes + cooling
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- WALNUT LAYER:
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples (4-5 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim.
- In a small bowl, mix walnut layer ingredients until blended. Spread onto bottom of pastry shell. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- For filling, in a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour filling over walnut layer; dot with butter. Roll remaining pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Brush top with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits in pastry.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake 55-65 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 611 calories, 36g fat (10g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 22, 2018
Great flavour but the crust was wet, not soggy though.
Dec 21, 2017
There is a good reason why this Apple Pie was a Blue Ribbon winner. It's the AH-mazing flavor!!! I'm from 'apple country' and I have had many many apple pies but this one is SO delicious that it's beyond words. Ive been making this recipe since it was first published in TOH and people come to my big dinners at every holiday just for this wonderful apple pie. So I always make 3! Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic recipe Collette.
Jan 4, 2014
I made this tonight using my own pie crust recipe. It was delicious. Definitely a hit, and I will be making it again.