- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- 3. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
1 piece: 414 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 11, 2018The pie is tooooooo sweet. Use less sugar
Nov 11, 2018I'm going to make this for Xmas but I will have the amount of sugar!
Oct 12, 2018This is a wonderful apple pie recipe, best I've made. Ive seen some reference to the pie being soupy. I didn't experience that at all. We let the pie rest for a few hours after it came out of the oven. It was perfect when we sliced and served (a la mode of course! )
Oct 3, 2018So at first the pie was soupy when I took a slice, but the flavors were amazing. The pie sat in the fridge all last night and all day today, it still looked soupy were the slice was taken. I took another slice and...no more soup! This recipe is great, thanks for sharing (I wouldn’t!).
Jul 18, 2018Very good apple pie recipe! I lost my cookbook that I had for 30 years, which contained my Apple Pie Recipe. I had an idea of all the ingredients I needed but wasn't quite sure on the measurements. Found your recipe and it was fabulous! I love the use of all 3 spices and the brown sugar. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It's already in my new cookbook I've started. :)
Jun 15, 2018
This is by far the best apple pie I have ever made and eaten. I think it is the brown sugar instead of all white sugar. Whatever it is it is fantastic!
Mar 20, 2018
I have been making this exact pie for many years but in my recipe I have 1/4 tsp cloves instead of ginger, which I do prefer. I like my pie mildly sweet so I only add 1/4 cup each of the sugars. I find the apples have a good amount of there own sugar, even Granny Smiths. I also blind bake my bottom crust, I find the crust doesn’t become soggy this way. This is an excellent recipe. Thx Maggie
Jan 19, 2018
Every hood and tastu!
Jan 18, 2018
The best apple pie I have ever eaten!!!
Dec 31, 1969
I tried this recipe for the first time today. It was the easiest way to make a delicious apple pie. I will never have to buy a apple pie again. I will continue using this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it.