I remember coming home sullen one day because we'd lost a softball game. Grandma, in her wisdom, suggested, "Maybe a slice of my homemade apple pie will make you feel better." One bite, and Grandma was right. If you want to learn how to make homemade apple pie filling, this is really the only recipe you need. —Maggie Greene, Granite Falls, Washington
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- 3. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
1 piece: 414 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 23, 2019I left am earlier review and forgot to add that I halved the white and brown sugar. My family and I have health issues so I had to tone the sugar down but it was soooooo good! Thanks for sharing
Feb 13, 2019Very easy to make. Thank you
Feb 6, 2019BEST apple pie i have ever tasted... just the right combination of ingredients. i followed the recipe exactly as it was written and it was really excellent. Everyone i shared the pie with agreed, it was the BEST.. i loved the story about your granny.... that was just the best.... i will forever think of her everytime i make this pie - which will be often.
Jan 27, 2019Followed the recipe to the letter. Pie looked great on the outside, but was a soupy mess on the inside. I will not make this again and I do not recommend it.
Dec 25, 2018Extremely tasty! Had some liquid inside but was delicious otherwise.
Dec 23, 2018Made this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Will be making for Christmas.
Dec 15, 2018Came out like soup with 1 TBS of liquid The apples didn’t get soft
Nov 25, 2018Best recipe I’ve used in a long time!
Nov 23, 2018This recipe turned out great! I just made it for thanksgiving. I did add an extra tbsp of flour as other reviewers advised, and the results were not runny at all, or dry. Also for the sugar I let my half cups measures be slightly short, and it didn't turn out too sweet. Also for the ginger, instead of powder I used paste and slightly more since its fresh. I used 4 granny Smith, and 2 honeycrisp apples. The results were fabulous. I've made apple pie in the past using recipes found here or there and the flavor was always missing something. I'm not sure if it is the use of ginger, or that I use ceylon cinnamon, but this recipe is a keeper.
Nov 23, 2018This was a hit. I left the sugar the same but used about 9 cups of sliced apples-we like our pie deep dish.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC