Easy Pie Crust
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
Makespastry for a single- or double-crust pie (9 or 10 inches)
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with vinegar. Gradually add the milk, tossing with a fork until a ball is formed. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- For a single crust, roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- For a double crust, divide pastry in two portions so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 132 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Feb 15, 2020
This recipe is junk. Dough just fell apart. Will not be trying again.
Apr 29, 2018
I made a single pie crust for a quiche using this recipe. It turned out great.
Nov 27, 2016
I have made many pie crusts but never one as good as this one. It was tender, light and flaky and will be my new go to recipe. The one crust recipe only filled my dish half way so I ended up with a deliciously skinny pumpkin pie that cooked in half the time.
Nov 29, 2014
Don't waste your time making this crust. My pumpkin pie filling was delicious but this crust ruined my yummy pie. Texture wasn't right and it had no flavor
Nov 9, 2014
I used this recipe for my first homemade apple pie. It is such a simple and easy recipe to follow. It turned out great! I will definetly use this as my go to pie crust recipe in the future.
Oct 27, 2014
Made this for apple pie today, turned out wonderful. Never made a pie crust before, saving for future pies!
Oct 27, 2014
So easy and tasty!!
May 17, 2014
I baked the double crust today. For my taste, it needed a little extra shortening. Good all the same. Also, I added 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Dec 11, 2013
I made this crust after Thanksgiving for leftover turkey pot pie. It was my first time making pie crust. It turned out amazing! I am making it again for an apple pie today!
Nov 26, 2013
The easiest pie crust ever