Classic Cottage Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook lamb, carrots and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in flour, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth and wine; stir in tomato paste and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Transfer meat mixture into a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Drain potatoes; mash with milk and butter. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Spread over meat mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet (plate will be full). Bake 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 408 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 728mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 6, 2018
Best cottage/shepherd’s pie recipe I’ve made so far! I highly recommend using lamb if you like lamb.
Oct 3, 2018
Very good. I used beef and extra stock. I also baked it in my cast iron skillet. Will make again.
Dec 3, 2017
Excellent dish. Easy to make. Great comfort food for a cold day.
May 20, 2014
This was really yummy, although I did make some adjustments because of our personal tastes and what I had on hand. I omitted the Italian seasoning, because that just sounded odd to me for this combination of foods. I added broccoli slaw that I chopped into shorter pieces to get in more veggies. And I forgot the brown sugar! I used ground turkey, but still used the beef broth, so the flavor was wonderful and pretty familiar. And I cut back on the cheese because of my husband's wishes--just sprinkled some on top when I took it out of the oven. In other words, you can see that this recipe adapts easily to your family's wishes. I made significant changes, and yet I stuck to the general quantities and method, and it turned out perfectly.
Feb 11, 2013
This is very tasty (although I am not crazy about the rosemary in the Italian seasoning). My husband and I both enjoyed it.
Aug 15, 2011
this is cottage pie if made with beef,if it is made with lamb it is shepherds pie
Feb 25, 2011
love, love, LOVE this version of shepherds pie!!
Feb 6, 2011
This was fantastic. A nice comfort food for a cold day.
Dec 24, 2010
This is a delicious pie. Takes a bit of time to make but the flavour is great.