Old-Fashioned Custard Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Unroll crust into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in remaining ingredients until blended. Pour into crust. Cover edges with foil. Bake at 400° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 258 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Dec 6, 2019
Have made this pie twice since mid November. My husband loves it! It is a very easy recipe to follow. Thank you for sharing this recipe
Nov 24, 2019
My dearest friend complained that her custard pie did not set, and would i come over to help her, and maybe the two of us could figure it out.....we did!! Her eye sight without her glasses told her 400°, which she set at 200°!! After putting her glasses on and preheating her stove at 400°, her pie turned out PERFECT!! If your pie is still liquid, common sense MUST tell you that your stove is either broken or the pie-maker made a mistake in setting the oven, or maybe adding too much milk. This recipe is perfect! ? Thank you and have a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving.
Jan 31, 2019
This pie is as easy as one can get. For those having difficulties, try recalibrating your oven. Always a hit at potlucks and very tasty. I serve with fresh whipped cream and fresh fruit in season.
Jun 2, 2018
Not sure why some people attempt to bake this easy and delicious pie did NOT turn out, but it came out beautifully and perfect for me. I served it with fresh whipping cream and berries...
Nov 20, 2016
This was a delicious pie, and relatively simple. First you bake the crust (called blind baking), then you fill with the custard and bake again, both baking processes take place at 400F.
May 20, 2016
If you can read a recipe u can make this simple pie. It's. Delicious. You ladies must not be able to read a recipe
Apr 16, 2014
Cooked pie exactly as directed and after 25 minutes crust was still raw and pie was sloppy mess. Left it in uncovered for 30 more minutes and seemed to solidify more. Very disappointed :(
Mar 15, 2014
Bake pie at 400 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 and bake and additional 35 minutes or until custard is set.
Jun 27, 2010
i bake 20 min as instructed and the custard was not even warm yet. this recipe needs to be updated of deleted.
Feb 20, 2010
what temp do u use to bake the custard for 20 minutes.