Mom-Mom’s White Potato Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min.+ cooling
Makes2 pies (8 servings each)
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 frozen deep-dish pie crust
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle half the mixture in the bottoms of both pie crusts; bake until lightly browned, 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with butter; beat until fluffy. Add eggs, condensed milk and vanilla; mix well. Stirring continuously, slowly add evaporated milk; mix until smooth. Add remaining sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well. Pour potato mixture into prepared crusts; do not over-fill. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake until pie is set or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour before serving. If desired, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 308 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 15, 2019
In response to previous reviewer, both kinds of milk are used with instructions included for each kind.
Jul 14, 2019
Julie the ingredients call for both Sweetened Condensed Milk and Evaporated Milk.
Jul 14, 2019
read the recipe again, both are listed in ingredients and in directions,
Jul 11, 2019
The ingredients call for Sweetened Condensed Milk but in the directions it calls for Evaporated Milk? They are very different ingredients-which should we use?