Grandma’s Squash Pie
Like my Grandma Bessie did, I grow my own squash, cook it, then freeze it in two-cup portions to use in this recipe. It rivals any pumpkin pie!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 cups mashed cooked winter squash
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Whisk in egg yolks and milk. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into squash mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 358 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Grandma's Squash Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.