Old-Time Buttermilk Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until smooth. Gradually add milk and egg and mix well. On a floured surface, roll dough out very thin. Place in a 10-in. pie pan; set aside.
- For filling, cream butter and sugar in a bowl. Add flour. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 446 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 5, 2014
My kids love buttermilk pie. They however did not care for this version which was flavored too strongly with lemon
Jan 31, 2014
This pie is excellent! I have used many different recipes over the years and this one is our favorite. I reduced the butter by half and put it in custard cups to bake. A lower fat treat and equally delicious! Thanks for the recipe.
May 17, 2010
I used to make this pie years ago when in high school. I found this recipe and it is delicious! Will definitely become a regular in my pie baking.
Dec 3, 2009
We are HUGE buttermilk pie lovers! This recipe was fantastic...only modification I made was to lessen the amount of sugar to 1.5 cups. Didn't affect the outcome in any way! DELICIOUS and recommended to anyone who wants a simple yet decadent dessert!
Aug 15, 2008
My husband loves this pie.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.