Old-Fashioned Coconut Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Combine egg yolks and milk; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Pour hot filling into pie shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms stiff glossy peaks and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over hot filling. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 408 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 5, 2016
I tried this pie tonight for my husband and a elder friend of his they both loved it I give it 5 stars it was great and I will most definitely be making it again thank you so much
Nov 25, 2011
I made two of these for thanksgiving and both of them were gone by the end of the night! Everyone loved them!! I would definetly make them again.
Jul 17, 2009
This is a great recipe. Taste just like my grandma use to make. Simple and easy. Recipe was very easy and was delicious.
Feb 18, 2009
I agree with your husband I'm spoiled on scratch homemade foods. The taste was great. The meringue turned out good. I did cut down some of the sugar. My family doesn't like some things to sweet. I find some receipes has to much sugar added. But to each their own on their sweet tooth. It was easy to make.