Old-Fashioned Coconut Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Combine egg yolks and milk; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Pour hot filling into pie shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms stiff glossy peaks and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over hot filling. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 408 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 15, 2020
I tried 6 recipes before I found this one. I knew the second I read the ingredients this was the one for me... I have now made 60 of these pies and everyone has turned out.. this is not only the easiest cream pie recipe but the tastiest one. I did have to add flavor extract but that's it... fyi I did made banana cream pies using this recipe I mashed 2 banana and sliced 1 to replace the coconut...
Dec 24, 2019
Best recipe ever! Just like my mom's!
Jul 5, 2016
I tried this pie tonight for my husband and a elder friend of his they both loved it I give it 5 stars it was great and I will most definitely be making it again thank you so much
Nov 25, 2011
I made two of these for thanksgiving and both of them were gone by the end of the night! Everyone loved them!! I would definetly make them again.
Jul 17, 2009
This is a great recipe. Taste just like my grandma use to make. Simple and easy. Recipe was very easy and was delicious.
Feb 18, 2009
I agree with your husband I'm spoiled on scratch homemade foods. The taste was great. The meringue turned out good. I did cut down some of the sugar. My family doesn't like some things to sweet. I find some receipes has to much sugar added. But to each their own on their sweet tooth. It was easy to make.