Coconut Cream Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla and coconut. Pour into crust.
- For meringue, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl, on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 366 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 12, 2017
Excellent recipe.... my husband's favorite
Sep 24, 2017
This has become a staple in my life. I love Coconut Cream pie and this one is AWESOME. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Nov 22, 2014
Fed the hungry troops returning from Iraq with this coconut cream pie. They didn't know wether to eat it or bath in it. They left with stars in their eyes.
Oct 9, 2013
very nice recipes
Nov 16, 2012
i loved MCL restarunts coconut cream pie and this tate just like it !
Aug 5, 2012
Two people have already asked me for the recipe. I recommend it!
Jan 28, 2011
This is the same recipe i've used for years. Its the only one that I will make because its always great!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.