Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 fresh strawberries
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine pudding mix, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Gradually stir in pudding. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thickened. Fold in sliced strawberries. Transfer to crust.
- For topping, in another bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1/2 cup whipped topping and vanilla until smooth. Fold in remaining whipped topping. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a medium star tip. Fill with topping. Pipe topping around edges of pie; garnish with whole strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 259 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
May 18, 2015
My family absolutely loves this pie. I've even made it in a 9X13 pan. This one's a keeper
Jun 22, 2014
Switched pudding for marscapone cheese mixed with vanilla, for truly scrumptious dessert .Also made own jelly, to avoid aspatimine/sweetener poisoning (even children's vitamins contain it?) .2cups strawberries hulled and quartered, in bowl over simmering water for an hour, to extract juice....cool and strained thru muslin (never press or squeeze, as will be cloudy), for clear juice, add lemon juice and liquid of choice to make 600ml. I have used Rose water! White wine, sparkling water with elderflower cordial! sometimes all that's needed is water. As sweet enough.In cold water 4 sheets gelatine soak until pliable, add to cooling strawberry juice mix, allow to cool until thickened, but pourable then pour over constructed pie, allow to set and top with cream etc as above.
Jun 18, 2014
Has anyone ever tried using instant pudding for this recipe?
Mar 30, 2014
It sounds wonderful...will have to try it!!
Jul 19, 2013
I had never made strawberry pie before, but this was excellent. I did follow some tips from previous reviewers...I also used a small box of regular strawberry gelatin (not sugar-free) & it was not too sweet. I also thought the pudding/gelatin mix was too thin after only 30 minutes in the fridge, so I left it in there over an hour. The pie was still runny, but I purposely made it a day before. I used a bought graham cracker crust, let it sit over night in the fridge (covered) & it was completely solid, perfect for our 4th of July picnic. People loved it. I would make this again for sure.
May 19, 2012
Made this pie for daughter's potluck at school, and it was a hit. There were no leftovers, and as soon as people realized I made it they asked me for the recipe. One thing I noticed was it needed MUCH more time to set. I wish I would've made it earlier that day so it could've cooled in the refrigerator for several hours before I had to go. Still, great recipe! Oh, I used regular strawberry jello, and it didn't taste too sweet. Delicious. ;)
May 1, 2012
This pie was great... Quick, easy and yummy! Just two things: I'm going to double the topping recipe and spread over the entire pie and keep it in the fridge at least 12 hours before eating it. Perfect!
Jul 2, 2011
Oops, forgot to mention that when I made this, I was at my brother-in-laws and his kitchen is not as loaded with pans, etc as mine. Therefore, I just used the premade Marie Calendar pie shells for deep dish and it worked great following the rest of the recipe.
Jul 2, 2011
I am making this for the 4th of July. I made it for my mother-in-laws- 85th birthday dinner and she loved it. Everyone there loved it. It is excellent. If you make two though, you do not have to double the cream cheese and the whipped topping as there is ample to make two pies using the one pie recipe.
Jun 14, 2011
It asks for the sugar free gelatin. The small box of sugar free is .3 oz package. I would try it with the sugar free the first time. Otherwise you will want to adjust the amount of sugar added to the recipe if you use the regular strawberry gelatin.