Old-Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt; gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to lukewarm; fold in 2/3 cup coconut. Pour into pastry shell. Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours. Meanwhile, toast the remaining coconut. To serve, top with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Store in the refrigerator.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2015
I substituted the extracts with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon coconut. I also whipped up my own cream as opposed to a buying a whipped topping, and this was the best coconut cream pie I've ever had.
Apr 9, 2012
Good flavor and nice creamy texture but not quite "coconutty" enough. Will try adding a little coconut extract in addition to the vanilla next time.