Grandma’s Lemon Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir 1 cup of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter. Gently stir in lemon juice, vinegar and extract. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- For meringue, combine water and cornstarch in a saucepan until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened and clear, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually add cornstarch mixture, beating well on high. Immediately spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 378 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 25, 2015
This was very good. What is the purpose of the vinegar? I skipped it and the pie turned out good.
May 14, 2014
i will give the meringue 10 stars!!! i have looked for 45 years for the secret ingredient to a good meringue - one that would not weep and separate - and this is it! i will use this recipe from now on. Thank you!
Mar 31, 2013
The lemon filling was wonderful! I followed the recipe exactly for the meringue and it turned out "soupy". I will try another meringue topping recipe in the future.
Mar 29, 2013
It´s just lovely
Feb 23, 2013
It is the best lemon pie I've had. Meringue stays nice for a couple of days. Filling has nice lemon tang.
Jan 16, 2013
The lemon filling was great but the topping came out flat and very good. I will use the filling again but use a different recipe for the maringue.
Jul 13, 2011
The lemon filling is excellent! I didn't have lemon extract, so I just used about 5 teaspoons of lemon zest which worked just fine. However, the meringue was kind of strange for me. It was too liquidy or something, and after it was baked it was still a wet foam. I thought that was very strange. But the filling was so good, I'll still give it 4 stars.
Apr 24, 2011
I made my own crust for this pie. The time and effort to make this gem are well worth it. No weeping and it cut in slices very well. A keeper for sure. This was the main event on Easter Sunday. He is Risen!
Jun 15, 2010
The best Lemon Pie I have ever had the pleasure to taste. My friends and family will enjoy this pie forever. YUMMMMMM!
Feb 19, 2010
Thank you Grandma Mapel. The best lemon pie I have every baked. My husband is not a lemon pie fan, but he loved this pie. The meringue I doubled the recipe and still came out very very good. I will make again many times.