Homemade Lemon Cheese Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 to 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Lightly roll out pastry into a 12-in. circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate, reserving scraps for garnish. Flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Roll out pastry scraps to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out star shapes with 1-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until very thick. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring if desired. Gently stir in 1/2 cup lemon juice. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and remaining lemon juice. Spread into crust; top with lemon filling. Refrigerate for 6 hours or until the top is set. Garnish with pastry stars.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 341 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 21, 2011
Made this recipe a few years ago and it was such a hit that I make it all the time now! Everyone that has ever tasted it has asked for the recipe. Excellent recipe.
May 16, 2009
I lost this issue of Taste of Home with dozens of pies when I moved from my home of 21 years. My things where in 3 different places and kept hoping to find this issue but finally gave up just recently. Have only been on line a month and just thought of looking up this site, and now have the recipe I've missed so much, and a way to find others that were also lost. Thank you so much.