Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add 3 tablespoons cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and lemon zest. Gradually stir in lemon juice just until combined. Pour into the crust.
- For meringue, in a saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in cold water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is clear. Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat in cornstarch mixture on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 444 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 25, 2018
Turned out absolutely fantastic on my first try! The family ate the whole pie in one meal!
Jul 24, 2017
My son loves lemon meringue pie and he really loved this recipe.
Jul 23, 2017
A bit too sweet for my tastes, and I would prefer less meringue and more filling, but those are my personal preferences. Gotvrave reviews at the picnic I attended.
Apr 15, 2017
I did not use the pastry crust included with this recipe so no comment on that. The filling was a bit heavy handed on the thickening agents so I added another 1/2 cup of lemon juice and a bit of lemon oil instead of zest. The resulting flavor was bright and lemony. The meringue was just right when prepared as directed.No moisture or weeping after several hours.
Mar 15, 2017
How come no one uses Meyers lemons? That is how a real Lemon Meringue is made!!! Delish!
Dec 21, 2015
I piled the meringue on for a "mile high meringue" instead of "spreading evenly". Turned out great!
Jun 22, 2015
I made this pie for a friend's retirement party. It was a huge hit. The use of fresh lemons for the jiuce and zest made this pie outstanding. I had to immediately make another for my family.
Apr 8, 2015
Lemon meringue pie is one of my favorites and this recipe lives up to the quintessential tart yet sweet flavor combination lemon meringue pie should be. It's fabulous.
Apr 5, 2015
I can not review the crust as I used the one that I make all of the time, but we loved the filling and the meringue. I used a scant 11/4 cup sugar so it was quite tart as that is how we like it and it was great. The amount and taste the meringue was lovely. It made a nice high meringue. I think I would make an extra half batch of filling for my family as we really love the lemony part. An excellent recipe, Lee! Thank you.
Mar 25, 2015
QUALCUNO POTREBBE TRADURMI ALMENO LE DOSI DEGLI INGREDIENTI IN ITALIANO??? PLEASEEEEE