Chili Cottage Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 envelope chili seasoning mix
- 1 package (24 ounces) refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef, salt and pepper until beef is no longer pink. Drain beef; remove from skillet.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add beef, mixed vegetables, kidney beans, tomatoes, beef stock and chili seasoning; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Heat mashed potatoes according to microwave package directions; spread over top of beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese; bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes; sprinkle with green onions and Parmesan cheese.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 390 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 992mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
Sep 28, 2018
This was a huge hit with my family! I doubled the amount of ground beef and added extra tomatoes, stock and a bit more chili seasoning. And I used my own mashed potatoes, rather than the refrigerated kind. This dish was packed with flavor and easy to put together! We put a dollop of sour cream and salsa on top. Really, really good! Will absolutely make again!