Chili Cottage Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 envelope chili seasoning mix
- 1 package (24 ounces) refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef, salt and pepper until beef is no longer pink. Drain beef; remove from skillet.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add beef, mixed vegetables, kidney beans, tomatoes, beef stock and chili seasoning; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Heat mashed potatoes according to microwave package directions; spread over top of beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese; bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes; sprinkle with green onions and Parmesan cheese.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 390 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 992mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 28, 2018
This was a huge hit with my family! I doubled the amount of ground beef and added extra tomatoes, stock and a bit more chili seasoning. And I used my own mashed potatoes, rather than the refrigerated kind. This dish was packed with flavor and easy to put together! We put a dollop of sour cream and salsa on top. Really, really good! Will absolutely make again!