Delightful Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, toss apples with apple butter. Combine the flour, sugar, pie spice and cinnamon; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to crust.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, pie spice and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with ice cream if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared apple butter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 371 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 18, 2016
One of the best apple pies I've had!
May 23, 2016
When I started to make this I realized I didn't have apple butter so I made my own version. I took butter, cinnamon, apple spice and maple syrup and used that instead. It was awesome
Oct 25, 2015
I was looking for a new apple pie recipe and found this one. My bosses wife said this was the best apple pie she has eaten yet. I made them for a bake sale this past weekend and they were a huge hit. Very tasty. I think that tgis is my new favorite apple pie
Nov 5, 2013
Delicious!! I've made it three times already.... it goes in the cookbook!! Thanks for sharing!
Jan 8, 2012
Love Love Love this recipe! I am making it again for the 3rd time!
Jul 16, 2010
I have tried a lot of apple pie recipes, and so far this is my favorite! My husband spotted this recipe in the magazine and asked me to try it - I'm so glad I did. I made my own pie crust and used homemade apple butter. I just finished another slice...YUM!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.