Perfect Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 7 to 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening. Gradually add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Chill for 30 minutes. On a floured surface, roll half of dough into 10-in. circle. Place into a 9-in. pie pan.
- In a bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to apples and toss. Pour into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut slits in top. Place over filling; seal and flute edges. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 479 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 25, 2013
This is the first apple pie I ever made from my first issue of Taste of Home in 1996, and it is perfect. I've never looked for another apple pie recipe, this is the best!
Nov 13, 2012
This is the best the easiest and the tastiest..I've tried others and keep coming back to this one..
Dec 23, 2010
I have used this recipe for years! There is NO need to even try any other. The pastry is so easy and really perfect and the filling is LOTS! So maybe use a deeper pie plate..enjoy!
Jul 8, 2010
Absolutely perfect! Yesterday I made my very first apple pie EVER and this is the recipe I used. It was delicious and my husband wants to know when I'm making it again! Thanks for this easy and yummy recipe!
Dec 21, 2008
This is delicious !!!