Berry Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add apples and raspberries; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge.
- Spoon filling into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 419 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 29, 2015
I made this delicious pie for a September luncheon using blackberries from my garden; the combination was very tasty and everyone loved it. Thank you for sharing your recipe, Heidi Jo!
Jul 4, 2012
The raspberries gave the apples a lovely colour in the finished pie. I would probably cut own the amount of sugar just a little but I guess that depends on the tartness of the apples in the first place. Before putting the pie in the oven I wet the pastry top with just a little water and sprinkled sugar over the top for a nice finish. Definitely a winner.
Nov 30, 2010
Very tart but quite superb
May 28, 2010
I have used black berries with apples too. That is wonderful. Yummy. It takes the tartness out of the berries.