Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine blueberries, lemon juice and lemon zest. In another bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add to berries; toss gently to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of pie dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add blueberry mixture. Dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Whisk egg and milk; brush over pastry. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cover edge loosely with foil. Bake until crust is golden brown and berries have burst, about 30-35 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 553 calories, 25g fat (16g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 13, 2015
this was the easiest pie I have ever made! we couldn't wait when it was done, so we ate it warm and it was very runny. I put it in the refrigerator overnight and it was perfect by morning - not runny at all and so delicious!
Dec 15, 2013
I prefer fruit pies that aren't too sweet. This sweet level of this pie was perfect. Loved every bite. The lemon really adds something.
Aug 31, 2013
Very good recipe for blueberry pie!
Mar 7, 2013
This made a very tasty pie. I would suggest brushing the crust with milk or melted butter before baking. Also, I needed to bake it 15 minutes longer so the crust browned. Not sure if using fresh blueberrries made a difference in the baking time.
Dec 22, 2012
will try it
Sep 29, 2011
Very good blueberry pie recipe.. My husband thinks its the best I've made.