Star-Studded Blueberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pie dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Leave remaining pie dough refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and salt; toss gently. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add filling to pie pastry; dot with butter. Bake 20 minutes on a lower oven rack. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 10 minutes more. Cover edges loosely with foil to prevent burning. Return to lower rack of oven; bake 15-20 minutes longer, until blueberries are bubbly and beginning to burst. Cool on a wire rack.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Cut out stars using different-sized cookie cutters as desired. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 5-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Place stars over cooled pie in any pattern desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 424 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 22, 2011
Made this with frozen black raspberries - the "crust stars" on top are very festive - pie was a HIT!
Jul 8, 2011
This was so delicious! I don't usually like blueberrys but I really liked this recipie. My family enjoyed it so much that we finished it all that night.
Jul 2, 2011
Pastry for a double-crust pie is Pie crust, I suggest you buy a box of Pillsbury Roll-out in the dairy isle of your local store.
Jul 2, 2011
I am going to make this for my family but I have one question. What is Pastry for double-crust pie? Help me please!
Mar 24, 2011
I have not made this but it sounds great. Iwould like to know if you let the frozenberry thaw out before using then .