Star-Studded Blueberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pie dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Leave remaining pie dough refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and salt; toss gently. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add filling to pie pastry; dot with butter. Bake 20 minutes on a lower oven rack. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 10 minutes more. Cover edges loosely with foil to prevent burning. Return to lower rack of oven; bake 15-20 minutes longer, until blueberries are bubbly and beginning to burst. Cool on a wire rack.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Cut out stars using different-sized cookie cutters as desired. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 5-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Place stars over cooled pie in any pattern desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 424 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 22, 2011
Made this with frozen black raspberries - the "crust stars" on top are very festive - pie was a HIT!
Jul 8, 2011
This was so delicious! I don't usually like blueberrys but I really liked this recipie. My family enjoyed it so much that we finished it all that night.
Jul 2, 2011
Pastry for a double-crust pie is Pie crust, I suggest you buy a box of Pillsbury Roll-out in the dairy isle of your local store.
Jul 2, 2011
I am going to make this for my family but I have one question. What is Pastry for double-crust pie? Help me please!
Mar 24, 2011
I have not made this but it sounds great. Iwould like to know if you let the frozenberry thaw out before using then .