Raspberry Rhubarb Pie
—Joy Allred, Heber City, Utah
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces), thawed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, salt and cinnamon. Add rhubarb and raspberries; toss gently. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge. Pour filling into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 415 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Raspberry Rhubarb Pie in Birds & Blooms April/May 2001
Apr 2, 2014
Absolutely delicious!!! My children even asked me if there was more the next day for breakfast! I have made it 3 times in the past month and never had a crumb left!
Aug 9, 2012
My husband loved it, I had to make it the following weekend too.