Favorite Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Place sweet potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding orange juice, brown sugar, syrup and pie spice to reach desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 117 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Feb 24, 2020
Very tasty way to make mashed sweet potatoes. The only change I made was to bake my sweet potatoes in the oven while I was making other dishes for our meal. I wrapped them in foil, baked at 375 til they were fork tender. I let them cool for a half hour, then sliced the skin and scooped out the potato into a bowl to be mashed with the recipe ingredients. It was easy and since they were not boiled in water more of the nutrients were preserved, and not washed away in the boiling water. Will make this again.
Nov 22, 2014
I love sweet potatoes. I added orange marmalade, about a 1/4 of a cup & 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract. We all liked it.
Mar 3, 2014
I didn't have orange juice, I substituted almond milk. I loved. It. My husband doesn't like sweet potatoes tried it and he liked it too.
Jan 12, 2014
I made this for our fellowship & it wasn't scarfed like I thought it would be. Perhaps others don't like sweet potatoes as much as I.
Dec 1, 2013
My family liked that this wasn't so heavy as others I've made. Nice, too, that it has so few ingredients. Will make again next Thanksgiving.
Nov 22, 2013
I did not have any orange juice on hand so modified the recipe to use 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid. The potatoes turned out great
Mar 20, 2013
It's officially a family favorite!
Nov 23, 2012
This was a wonderful alternative to my heavy sweet potato casserole. I used honey instead of maple syrup as I didn't have any. Good flavor. Definately on my menus from now on!