Favorite Loaded Breakfast Potatoes
My four young children are experts eating with their hands. These “brunchskins” with veggies make easy finger food they love to handle. —Mindy Campbell, Rapid City, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 6 medium baking potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 each small sweet red, orange and green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons sour cream, divided
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled or 1/3 cup bacon bits
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°. Scrub and pierce potatoes with a fork; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high 15-18 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- When cool enough to handle, cut a thin slice off the top of each potato; discard slice. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in.-thick shells.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add peppers, mushrooms and red onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in salt, pepper and 1 cup pulp (save remaining pulp for another use). Add eggs; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and 1/4 cup sour cream.
- Spoon egg mixture into potato shells. Place on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Top with remaining sour cream; sprinkle with bacon and green onions.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Originally published as Brunchskins! in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015