Onion-Garlic Hash Browns
Quick to assemble, this is a simple recipe I’ve cooked many times. Stir in hot sauce if you like a bit of heat. I also like to top the finished dish with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese. —Cindi Hayward-Boger, Ardmore, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
Makes12 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onion and peppers. Cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in hash browns, salt, pepper and, if desired, pepper sauce.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cook, covered, 3-4 hours or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 110 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Onion & Garlic Hashbrowns in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.