Loaded Stuffed Potato Pancakes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes8 potato pancakes
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne.
- Shape 2 teaspoons cream cheese into a ball. Wrap 1/4 cup of potato mixture around cream cheese to cover completely. Drop into crumb mixture. Gently coat and shape into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat with remaining cream cheese and potato mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry stuffed pancakes, a few at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Jan 27, 2018
I LOVED THESE! If you are having trouble getting them to hold together, add a little more flour, that's what I did. I think the dryness level of your leftover mashed potatoes makes a difference as to how much flour is needed to form these.
Apr 16, 2017
I used a cookie scoop for the cream cheese, then molded the potatoes by hand. I omitted the salt and used it after frying. Loved them!
Jul 11, 2014
This is a good idea for leftover mashed potatoes; however, I couldn't get mine to stay in the perfect circular shape.
Jan 11, 2014
My husband loved these potato pancakes! Can't wait till we have leftover mashed potatoes again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.