Bacon Potato Pancakes
Meet the Cook: Potatoes are something I can eat anytime of day and almost any way. This recipe's one I came up with to go along with pigs in blankets several years ago. Our three children are grown, and John and I have five grandchildren. -Linda Hall, Hazel Green, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 to 6 medium uncooked red potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 3 cups)
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Rinse and thoroughly drain potatoes. In a bowl, combine the potatoes, bacon, onion, eggs, flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by 2 heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form patties. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook the other side. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts3 pancakes: 193 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Bacon Potato Pancakes in Country Woman January/February 1999