Perfect Potato Pancakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 4 large potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Maple syrup or applesauce, optional
- Peel and shred potatoes; place in a bowl of cold water. Line a colander with cheesecloth or paper towels. Drain potatoes into cloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, flour, onion, salt and pepper.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil, about 3 in. apart. Press lightly to flatten. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. If desired top with maple syrup or applesauce.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 287 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 324mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
May 9, 2019
Love these Potatoe Pancakes but l serve them with Sour Cream my husband prefers them this way like his Mother used to serve them.
May 12, 2017
My friend wanted potato pancakes like his mom used to make. That is a tall order! So I trusted taste of home for a good recipe. Well, I found it! These are perfect, only change is I add butter to my oil to fry. Crispy, crunchy, salty..just delicious, can't stop eating them. Leftovers crisped up nice in the toaster oven. Will make again & again.
Oct 10, 2016
Very good potato pancake...I served with fried eggs and bacon!
Oct 2, 2016
These fried up perfect and golden.
Jan 1, 2013
Apr 30, 2011
I grew up eating these. My mom made them all the time, only she fried them in a heavily buttered pan. I like the extra flavor that butter gives them. Of course, being Ukrainian we always ate them with sour cream. Yum Yum!
Nov 20, 2010
Very, very good! I cut the recipe in half. Really light and crispy. Loved them! Thanks for this recipe.
Jan 25, 2010
OH MY GOSH........just made these right now & they're SO good! I will definately be making them again!