Loaded Mashed Potato Bites
Put those leftovers to good use! Turn them into mashed potato bites loaded with bacon, cheese and onions. —Becky Hardin, St. Peters, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 ounces Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 2 dozen 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, shredded cheese, bacon and green onions. Divide into two dozen 1/4-cup portions. Shape each portion around a cheese cube to cover completely, forming a ball. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Place eggs in a separate shallow bowl. Dip potato balls in egg, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, until golden brown, for 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.