Cheeseburger Onion Rings
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into squares
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Spicy ketchup, optional
- In a small bowl, combine beef, ketchup, mustard and salt, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Cut onion into 1/2-in. slices; separate into rings. Fill 8 slices with half of the beef mixture (save remaining onion rings for another use). Top each with a piece of cheese and remaining beef mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour and garlic powder. Place bread crumbs and eggs in separate shallow bowls. Dip filled onion rings in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg, then in bread crumbs, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, until golden brown and a thermometer inserted into beef reads 160°, 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with spicy ketchup.
Nutrition Facts1 onion ring: 367 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Jan 15, 2020
Fun recipe. Has anyone tried using a thinner slice of onion on the top and bottom for more "onion ring" flavor? Would it stay together>
Sep 16, 2019
Very good recipe, came together well, but I added a little milk to the eggs as I seem to get better coverage when coating things for frying. I also made two batches - once with the Panko, as the recipe states, which made it nice and crunchy, and the other with a mixture of seasoned breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan which added a tad more flavor - both ways were excellent. Served both with a mayo Sriracha sauce I made up. Perfect flavor combinations.
Sep 12, 2019
We really liked this recipe, the onion ring added a really nice flavor and texture to the dish. Hubby approved, so this will be a keeper
Sep 4, 2019
I have made a different version of these in the past, but this is a better recipe, with the ketchup and mustard flavoring the beef! I added chopped green chile with the cheese for little kick. For really good coating, let them rest on a sheet of wax paper before frying.