Sweet Onion BBQ Burgers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/4 cups barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ONION TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices smoked cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, onion salt and brown sugar. Add egg. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties. Place in a shallow dish; pour barbecue sauce over patties. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients; cover and refrigerate until serving. For topping, melt butter in a small skillet. Stir in honey until blended. Add onions; saute for 15-20 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Drain and discard barbecue sauce. Grill patties, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top each with a cheese slice; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with sauce and onion topping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 972 calories, 54g fat (18g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 2204mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
May 7, 2020
This was SO good! The burger is kind of meat loaf-like and it's delicious. I didn't really understand part of the directions and just squeezed some bbq sauce on the formed patties but didn't immerse them in there so didn't really wipe it off before cooking and it worked. I also didn't use smoked cheddar cheese but instead extra sharp cheddar and it was amazing. Adding this to my regular rotation of dinners!
May 4, 2020
The whole family really enjoyed these. We’ll definitely make again!
Apr 14, 2018
Omg. I. Just made these and it was sooo freaking delicious??
Sep 10, 2015
These are a-mazing.....
Jul 4, 2015
These were so good!
May 29, 2014
Made these last night for National Burger Day and they were great. I broiled them in the oven because I was afraid I'd burn them with the bbq sauce on them. And I forgot to make the onion sauce, and the burgers were ready, so just used chopped red onion. Shredded smoked cheddar and leftover bacon from the weekend made these perfect. I will used the meat mixture recipe for burgers from now on. Will make sauce next time. =)
Jan 13, 2014
Absolutely delicious! Sauce was awesome.
Dec 5, 2013
Best burger recipe I've ever tried but I made 7 burgers instead of 4 b.c. they would have been huge burgers!!! The burger also didn't want to stay together so I made them into sloppy joes. I'm thinking I used a little too much BBQ sauce and that's whey they weren't staying together but next time I'll be carefull and may use less.
Oct 3, 2013
Wonderful. I used a sweeter BBQ sauce (Sonny's brand). Due to the sweetness of the onions, next time I'll go with a more tangy variety of barbecue sauce.
Jun 26, 2011
This is one burger my family asks for often. My husband says it the best TOH recipe I've ever made. The sauce is great for dipping french fries too.