Candied Jalapenos & Garlic
If you love spicy food like we do, then these tasty candied jalapenos and garlic bits are for you! You can save the syrup to baste roasted chicken or grilled salmon, or mix it into salad dressings. Jars of this dynamite condiment make a great gift. —Rita Ladany, Edison, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Process: 15 min.
- 1 pound jalapeno peppers (about 16), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced garlic cloves (about 4 bulbs)
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cayenne pepper, minced, optional
- Pack jalapenos and garlic into three hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. In a large saucepan, bring sugar, vinegar, seasonings and, if desired, cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Carefully ladle hot liquid over pepper mixture, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 10 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Awesome Candied Jalapenos and Garlic in Country Woman August/September 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.