Grilled Cheese Bun Burgers
My husband loves both my grilled cheese and my iron burgers, so I decided to combine them in this grilled cheese bun burger. He said it was the best meal he ever ate. —Lisa Allen, Joppa, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 16 slices process American cheese
- 16 slices sandwich bread
- In a large bowl, combine beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper and liquid smoke if desired, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 4-in. square patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook burgers in oil over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Remove and keep warm. Place cheese on 8 bread slices; top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with remaining 4 tablespoons butter.
- In the same skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown and cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes on each side. Top 4 sandwiches with burgers and onions. Top with remaining sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 900 calories, 50g fat (27g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 1954mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 47g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.