Grilled Ham Burgers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Grill: 10 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked boneless ham
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple plus 3 tablespoons juice
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 slices Swiss cheese (1 ounce each)
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in sixteen 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup honey mustard salad dressing
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby arugula, packed
- Additional honey mustard salad dressing, optional
- Pulse ham in food processor until finely ground. Combine with pork, eggs, cracker crumbs, brown sugar, pineapple and juice, mustard and cloves. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into eight patties. Using fingertips, make a shallow indentation in center of each patty so it remains flat while grilling. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Grill burgers, covered, on a greased rack over medium-high direct heat for 5-6 minutes; turn and grill another 3-4 minutes. Add a slice of cheese to each burger; grill, covered, until cheese melts, 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat when a thermometer reads 160°.
- Place a burger on bottom half of each roll; add two tomato slices. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon honey mustard dressing. Divide arugula evenly among rolls; top each burger with a few sprigs. Replace top half of roll. If desired, serve with additional dressing.
Test Kitchen Tip
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 632 calories, 28g fat (9g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 1430mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Jul 18, 2017
I love ham loaf so I cannot wait to try this! Sounds so good!
May 23, 2017
Wow! What a great burger! My family initially had trouble getting beyond the "beef" burger, but once they tasted this it was a hit! We only need 4, so I did as suggested and grilled up the rest to freeze. No one could wait long so we are having them again tomorrow night - haha!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.