Bacon and Date Goat Cheese Burgers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 2-3/4 cups fresh baby spinach, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) pistachios, shelled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5.3 ounces) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 package (8 ounces) pitted dates, chopped
- 6 brioche hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 pound maple-flavored bacon strips, cooked
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Place 2 cups spinach, pistachios, lemon juice, garlic, pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a food processor; pulse until chopped. Add goat cheese; process until blended. Continue processing while gradually adding oil in a steady stream to reach a spreadable consistency. Refrigerate until serving.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine beef and dates, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties. Place burgers on an oiled grill rack or in a greased 15x10x1-in. pan. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-5 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 minutes per side. Grill buns, cut sides down, over medium heat until toasted.
- Top bun bottoms with remaining spinach, burgers, red onion and bacon. Spread 4 teaspoons goat cheese mixture over cut side of each bun top; place on burger. Cover and refrigerate remaining goat cheese mixture; save for another use.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 804 calories, 45g fat (11g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 9g fiber), 39g protein.
Aug 22, 2019
This is one of our family's all time favorites. The combination of sweet date and tart goat cheese (plus hidden goodies) is great for Keto dieters and kids. I adjust to fewer dates. The spread is delicious and we use it ubiquitously.
Jul 20, 2019
First of all, interesting mixture of flavors. But, it was too sweet for our tastes. Will keep the spinach, cheese, pistachio mixture recipe for I think it would be fantastic on crustini and broiled.
Jun 21, 2019
Made this exactly as written - 4 adults for dinner. No one liked the sweet burgers. One star because the pesto was tasty. Definitely would not add the optional maple syrup to the pesto in lieu of maple bacon because you would have sweet with sweet. It was four thumbs down here.