Bacon and Date Goat Cheese Burgers
This burger is a rich and decadent combination of sweet and savory in every bite. If you can't find maple bacon in your local store, you can add 1-1/2 tablespoons maple syrup to the spinach-goat cheese mixture in the food processor. —Michelle Anglin, Livingston, Montana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 2-3/4 cups fresh baby spinach, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) pistachios, shelled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5.3 ounces) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 package (8 ounces) pitted dates, chopped
- 6 brioche hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 pound maple-flavored bacon strips, cooked
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Place 2 cups spinach, pistachios, lemon juice, garlic, pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a food processor; pulse until chopped. Add goat cheese; process until blended. Continue processing while gradually adding oil in a steady stream to reach a spreadable consistency. Refrigerate until serving.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine beef and dates, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties. Place burgers on an oiled grill rack or in a greased 15x10x1-in. pan. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-5 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 minutes per side. Grill buns, cut sides down, over medium heat until toasted.
- Top bun bottoms with remaining spinach, burgers, red onion and bacon. Spread 4 teaspoons goat cheese mixture over cut side of each bun top; place on burger. Cover and refrigerate remaining goat cheese mixture; save for another use.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 804 calories, 45g fat (11g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 9g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Maple Bacon Date goat cheese burger in Taste of Home April/May 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.