Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Date-Bacon Jam
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + cooling Cook: 5 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces pitted dates, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese, rind removed and softened
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low;
- cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is deep golden brown and caramelized, 35-40 minutes, adding garlic during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Return bacon to skillet; add next five ingredients. Stir well. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- For sandwiches, combine cheeses, mixing well. Layer four slices of bread with cheese mixture, 2 tablespoons date-bacon jam and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter. In a nonstick skillet, toast sandwiches over medium-low heat until golden brown and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes per side. Cover and refrigerate remaining jam; save for another use.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 572 calories, 33g fat (19g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
May 17, 2018
We enjoyed these sandwiches, but our favorite part was the Bacon Date Jam. I had extra jam that I froze and used later on burgers delicious! I am now making just the jam to freeze for burgers. Yummy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.