Bacon Cheeseburger Buns
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Ketchup or barbecue sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add bacon and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll each portion into an 12x8-in. rectangle; cut each into six squares. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center of each square. Bring corners together in the center and pinch to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter. Serve warm, with ketchup if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 310 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Apr 17, 2018
I make these delightful savory pastries, to use up the Velveeta cheese I had on hand. They came out of the oven piping hot and a lovely golden bake on them. Next time I make them, I will have to double the recipe and share with family and friends..I loved them, delicious and filling!
Jun 6, 2016
These were fantastic! I did switch out the onion for chopped pickle, and i added in ketchup and mustard to each bun. I also did a complete seal, so they looked like round buns, and they came out great. I'm actually making an alteration right now with broccoli, chicken and Alfredo sauce.
Oct 4, 2015
I did like another reviewer suggested and used refrigerated crescent rolls. I used the bottle of bacon bits (actual bacon pieces) instead of cooking up bacon, since I was feeling pretty lazy. I also cut the recipe in half and it tasted just fine. I think next time I will omit the salt because it was just too salty for me, though my husband loved it. Overall a decent weeknight recipe. I'll make this again.
Apr 16, 2015
Oh my wow these are good! My husband does not care for ground beef so I used ground lamb...big hit
Feb 2, 2015
These were absolutely delicious! We could not stop eating them. I made them for a Super Bowl party I used crescent roll dough and the recipe made 32. I sealed 2 triangles together and then cut that rectangle in half to make 2 squares Put a glob of meat in the center. The pulled all corners together to seal. They were baked about 10 minutes until golden brown. They were an absolute hit,! Great for parties!
Jan 31, 2015
I am sure they are great but I will have to use ready made pastry dough and make the filling.
Jan 30, 2015
This sounds really good. I definitely want to try this recipe. It has to be great for finger or bite sized food for a party. This will be Great For Super Bowl Sunday Parties!!!
Oct 3, 2014
I plan on making a batch of these as soon as I get the ingredients. I read one review and it said she freezes them on cookie sheets before baking them. I want to do the same and be able to pull out as many as I need and then bake. Can anyone tell me whether I would need to thaw before baking or just bake frozen. Thanks for your help and advice.
Sep 16, 2014
I made these for the Sunday games in the Man Cave and the guys loved them... The bread was very good and the bacon cheeseburger flavor was great. On the "keeper" list.
Aug 15, 2014
Great for kids to grab!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.