Hot Dog Buns
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Caraway, poppy or sesame seeds
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add 2 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the remaining water and sugar, milk, shortening, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a 5-in. x 2-in. roll. Place 4 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Beat egg and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with caraway, poppy or sesame seeds. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 332 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 17, 2015
A complete disaster. I have been making bread and rolls, for several years. This was a complete disaster. I followed the directions as written. When I shaped the rolls, the dough was very gooey, and ended up as one big blob on the pan. Very disappointing.