Mary Ann Simkus, Hampshire, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onion is tender; drain on paper towels.
- Prepare roll mix according to package directions. Turn the dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Divide dough into 18 pieces. On a floured surface, roll out each piece into a 5-in. circle. Top each with 1 tablespoon of bacon filling. Fold dough around filling, shaping each piece into a small loaf; pinch edges to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray. Let rise in a warm place for 20-30 minutes.
- Brush egg over buns. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Originally published as Bacon Buns in Country Woman March/April 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.