Sauerkraut Beef Buns
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (48 ounces) frozen bread dough dinner rolls, thawed
- Melted butter
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add sauerkraut. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, flatten each piece of dough. Top each with a heaping tablespoonful of beef mixture. Fold dough over filling to meet in center; pinch edges to seal.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 45 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 13, 2014
My mom always made these when I was little but not too often because she made it seem like it was difficult. Now I make them much more often. I make sure not to drain the sauerkraut and add a little corn starch to thicken the mixture so it doesn't fall out on the first bite. I also add chopped green pepper and a pinch of sugar. Yum yum!
Sep 23, 2012
the 1 tsp of salt and pepper is for the whole recipe ,not in each bun.
Sep 23, 2012
This is like my recipe, but I use salt and pepper(1tsp of each)and 1 Tbsp of shredded mozerella cheese on top of the filling in each bun.They are awesome!
Jul 31, 2012
I JUST MADE THESE AND I LIKE THE IDEA OF THEM BECAUSE I LOVE SAUERKRAUT BUT THEY ARE A LITTLE DRY. THEY NEED SOMETHING IN THEM TO GIVE THEM A LITTLE MOISTURE. I THOUGHT MAYBE A LITTLE SLICE OF CHEESE IN EACH ONE.I USED THE 40 MINUTE HAMBURGER BUN RECIPE FOR THE BREAD. THEY BROWNED BEAUTIFULLY. THEY ARE VERY TIME CONSUMING TO MAKE. I ONLY GOT 26 BUNS OUT OF IT. I PROBABLY PUT A LITTLE MORE THAN A TABLESPOON ON EACH ONE. I HAD JUST A SPOONFUL LEFT OVER. I WILL MAKE THEM AGAIN AND ADD SOME CHEESE. I THINK IT WOULD MAKE THEM EASIER TO PINCH THE BUN TOGETHER TOO. DONALEE2
Oct 22, 2011
We really loved this. My husband is Czech and eats sauerkraut out of the jar so i knew he would like it. We added some pepper to the mixture and then tried a Thai chili sauce for dipping. My son ate the bun straight.
Jan 16, 2011
I could only find a 36-ct dinner roll and I ended up with about half the beef/sauerkraut mixture leftover. These were delicious, but sort of a pain in the butt to make. Next time I'll make the way my mom always does...one long roll using a loaf of frozen bread dough.