Candied-Fruit Hot Cross Buns
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Stir in the butter, eggs, sugar and salt. Combine 3 cups flour, candied fruit and cinnamon; add to yeast mixture and mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into 2-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each bun. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk and water; brush over buns. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; pipe an "X" on top of each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 163 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 19, 2017
I think this recipe is worth making again. I've seen so many hot crossed bun recipes that it's hard to decide which one to make. I made a half batch. It fit on a half-sheet pan. I added a little fresh grated orange zest and vanilla, but I think they would taste fine without those too. I cut the crosses on the top a little too deep. Some of them turned out looking like mutant buns when they rose. Oh well, they tasted good! I made the crosses recognizable again with the frosting crosses.
Mar 20, 2014
i'm not good with yeast recipes- can this be started with a pre -made bread dough and then finished as in the recipe - please help my father loves hot cross buns!
Apr 15, 2010
Very moist roll and festive. Flavor was perfect. For once, I didnt do any customizing and they were great.
Apr 10, 2009
These were amazing!I made them today and happily, they turned out and are wonderful!Perfect treat for Good Friday!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.