Toffee Apple Cinnamon Buns
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes8 cinnamon buns
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup brickle toffee bits
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons brickle toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine apple and apple juice concentrate; microwave, covered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. In a small bowl, mix 2/3 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in buttermilk and 2 tablespoons melted butter just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, 2-4 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with sugar mixture, apple and toffee bits. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into eight slices.
- Place in a greased 9-in. square or round baking pan, cut side down. Brush with remaining melted butter. Bake 22-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and apple juice concentrate until smooth. Spread over buns; sprinkle with toffee bits. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 bun: 525 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 29, 2015
Delicious recipe, but when we made it exactly as the recipe called for, it made more of a biscuit dough, than a cinnamon bun recipe. I added a bit more flour and tried half of it as cinnamon buns, and half as a coffee cake. The flavor was out of this world, the consistency was just a bit off.