Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 10 teaspoons seedless strawberry or other jam
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. In a small bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full; place 1 teaspoon jam on top. Cover jam with enough batter to fill muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place melted butter in a small bowl; combine sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. Immediately after removing muffins from the oven, dip tops in butter, then in cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 288 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 1, 2018
Very disappointed. Very strong with nutmeg, half the amount in the recipe would be plenty. Tough dough, not enough cinnamon. This needs some real tweaking to be something I would even begin to serve any of my guests, let alone my family. Try it before serving to anyone - make adjustments.
Mar 11, 2018
These are wonderful! I have been making them for years and they are a family favorite. I also make them as mini-muffins without jam (bake for 18 minutes).
May 6, 2017
Sep 21, 2016
These were fantastic! Better then store bought and the cinnamon sugar finish is perfect. Definitely a keeper.
May 10, 2014
Yum!!! I was looking for a way to use up my homemade jams from last season and these are so good!!! Followed the recipe exactly thanks for sharing!!!
Mar 16, 2014
Good but nothing spectacular for us. Probably will not make again.
Dec 14, 2013
The first time I made these they were wonderful! The first one fell apart when I tried to dip it, but I just cooked them another minute or two and they were great!.The second time I made them I didn't have enough muffin wrappers, so I poured the batter into a greased and floured 9x13 pan. No jam because their too thin, but they still bake in about 20 minutes. My kids love "muffin bread" just as much as muffins.
Aug 31, 2013
I am a TOH field editor and have made these as our 3 boys were growing up. They absolutely loved them! I would use homemade raspberry or rhubarb jam for the middle--so good!!!! My oldest son recently asked me to make them again when he was home visiting, and took the recipe home with him!
Aug 22, 2013
I made these with some apple cinnamon filling that I was given. They turned out delicious! We rolled them in the sugar topping... Yummy! A bit sweet for first thing in the morning, but good for brunch!
May 29, 2013
I grew up on these muffins!! I had forgotten them and when I came across this recipe I was so excited. My Mom always called them surprise muffins because she would use different fillings. Delicious!!