Cinnamon Bun Cookies
I love cinnamon rolls, but working with yeast can be scary. These cookies give you the taste of a cinnamon roll in cookie form—no yeast required! They look like flattened cinnamon rolls and feel special enough to serve around the holidays. —Erin Raatjes, New Lenox, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water
- Cream first five ingredients until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. On a baking sheet, roll dough between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12-in. square. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- For filling, beat butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla. Add flour, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Remove top sheet of waxed paper; spread filling over dough to within 1/4-in. of edges. Using waxed paper, roll up tightly jelly-roll style, removing paper as you roll. Wrap in plastic. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until edges are light brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and enough water to reach desired consistency. Spread or drizzle over cookies. Let stand at room temperature until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 103 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cinnamon Bun Cookies in Ultimate Cookie Swap Bookazine 2017