- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (12 ounces) strawberry, raspberry or currant jelly
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and water on high speed 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Stir in extracts. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack. Unroll cake; spread evenly with jelly. Roll up; dust with confectioners' sugar.
1 slice: 312 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.